Comments: Physician, Cure Thyself

Jonathan blogged about this as well: http://www.catallarchy.net/blog/cgi-bin/archives/000317.html

And his follow-up: http://www.nepentheisland.com/cgi-bin/mt/mt-comments.cgi?entry_id=92

Basically, he explains that Dr. Schoonover is using the flawed "Labor Theory of Value," which holds that value is derived from work done or level of training completed.

But $220 for a routine cleaning!

Posted by Kevin White at August 15, 2003 09:11 PM

Well, to be fair it DID include X-rays and other dental work. Just the cleaning itself was $65.

Posted by Benjamin Kepple at August 15, 2003 10:16 PM

But then again X-rays are kind of standard when one goes for a cleaning, aren't they?

Posted by Benjamin Kepple at August 15, 2003 10:17 PM

$65 just for cleaning? Ouch. In Taiwan, it's 200 NT--about $6. And that's if you _don't_ use national health insurance (for which you pay $90 of taxes a month for a family of four.)

Posted by Michelle Y. at August 16, 2003 01:04 AM

$65 sounds more like it. That's a fair sum for something you do twice a year. It's worth $65 to me. Although I wonder if I couldn't do just as well for my teeth on my own.

X-rays standard? Err, I don't think so.

Posted by Kevin White at August 16, 2003 05:19 AM

Well, as someone who spent a lot of time and money preparing for a professional career, I can understand at least desiring a slightly above-average income, insofar as I have invested an above average amount of time, and spent an above average amount of money to learn a profession that requires most skills that the average person does not have. And I'm just a lawyer. Unless I end up doing death penalty work, people aren't likely going to have their lives in my hands. Doctors spend even more time, and more money, learning skills that the average person is less likely to possess than the skills I possess, and I can see why they'd be bitter. Most of the doctors I know are not "living the good life" according to the widely held stereotypes. And I actually share the dismay that Dr. Schnoover demonstrated -- I am consistently shocked at the number of people who are willing to spend tons of money on things like cell phones and designer clothes while balking at relatively reasonable health care costs. My dental hygenist told me about a kid whose oral health was terrible, almost to the point of threatening his overall health, and his mother said she couldn't afford for his dental visits. Yet she had the gucci bag, had her nails done, her hair done, the designer clothes, etc.

Part of the problem *IS* that people have screwy priorities.

Posted by Geoff Brown at August 19, 2003 10:34 PM