Comments: The Worst Movie in Years

i saw it last night for the sheer comedic value. it was truly abysmal. one of the worst things i have ever seen in my life. by the end we were yelling at the screen.

i'm a member of the entertainment industry so of course i have sympathy for my fellow artists when they flounder about up on the screen in a piece of writing so terrible that NOBODY COULD SAVE IT. John Gielgud would look like an ass if he were put in Giggly.

i blame the egos of everybody involved, but mostly i blame the guy who wrote it AND directed it. Obviously, the man surrounds himself with "Yes" people ... and wouldn't let anyone cut a word of his precious dialogue.

God, Ben, wasn't it just such a dreadful film???

Truly historically bad.

Posted by red at August 8, 2003 12:25 PM

This was entertaining to read (a lot more so than the torture--a torture obvious to me *without* having to see the movie or even read reviews--of sitting through this movie) and all, but you left out a crucial element.

WHY did you see THIS movie? I can only imagine that you were on a date and this was the "date movie" abyss you sort of just fell into, through no real fault of your own. Either that, or you went into it relishing the thought of loathing it to the nth degree. Nothing wrong with that, though. But I'll stick with "Freddy v. Jason" for my "stupendously bad movie" kicks. :o)

Still, I heard this film made a paltry $3.8M in its first weekend, and it's got to be up to a healthy $5M-$6M by now; I'd like to think those million or so tickets have been sold to folks who Got What They Deserved for making such poor consumer spending choices. But clearly, at least a few people of discriminating taste (that's you, Ben) are seeing the movie *anyway*.

Tell the truth... you went and saw Jiggly or Jell-o or Gila, knowing full well it would be breathtakingly awful, for the sheer enjoyment of lampooning it afterwards and making another exuberant (and very good) BAD CINEMA WITH BEN blog post. Nothing wrong with that.

Consider: you're a martyr: suffering through the Relationship Movie equivalent of WaterWorld or Ishtar so that a film I was previously indifferent to has actually brought your readers a few minutes of joy (via your blog).

Greatest Western ever made? Blazing Saddles
When is a Western not a Western? Blazing Saddles

Posted by Kevin White at August 8, 2003 12:55 PM

Won't see the movie in a hat,
won't see the movie with a cat.
Won't drive to see it in a car,
would rather spend my time in a bar.

I would not, could not see Gigli,
It should go away and let us be.

I will not see it in a box,
I will not see it with a fox.
I will not watch it on a plain,
I will not watch it on a train.

I will not watch that crappy show,
even if it shows a nude J-Lo.

My little poem I will end,
with the following advise to my friends:

Josey Wales is a better movie,
Than The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly.

Thank you. Tip your bartenders and your waitresses, and good night!

Posted by Bildo at August 8, 2003 01:20 PM

This movie is going on my list of movies never to see, right next to "Battlefield Earth". Too bad I actually sat through "Wing Commander". Wish I could wipe away that memory...

Posted by Jon at August 8, 2003 01:59 PM

C'mon Ben, tell us what you really think of the film!

Posted by Kathy K at August 8, 2003 08:35 PM

You actually wnet to see it? Any thoughts I may have had of seeing it (and trust me, they were fleeting at best) went away when Jimmy Kimmel took his whole audience to see it one night, and they ALL hated it.

Posted by Geoff Brown at August 10, 2003 02:21 AM

...And here all these years I thought you had great taste. *Sigh* I can't believe you saw THAT!

Posted by Allison at August 10, 2003 12:36 PM

I can't help it, the more awful things I read about this movie the more I want to see it.

Last month I sat through Hollywood Homicide and declared it the worst movie ever made, if this tops that cinematic debacle it may be worth the price of a rental to find out!

Surely it will be out on video and DVD within a week, right?!

Posted by Moxie at August 11, 2003 12:18 AM