Comments: Thoughts on the Dollar

First, I would point out that I have had the grace and good fortune to been bestowed with the name "Salmon" by parents clearly possessed of a superior aesthetic sense.

Second, how in the name of federalism could you have left James Madison off of your currency? Madison is worth 10 Jack Kennedys. I suggest you revise your list. And while you're at it, you might want to consider Louis Armstrong.

Posted by Salmon Q. Diddlehinger at March 26, 2005 07:36 PM

Well, "Salmon," we'll have to discuss this on Monday morning. That said, I could see Madison -- once on the $5,000 note -- replacing Eisenhower on the list, but my thought was to propose folks the American people would fundamentally relate to in their gut. So perhaps we could throw Madison on the 50-cent piece. Or the $2 bill.

Posted by Benjamin Kepple at March 26, 2005 08:37 PM

Or the nickel, for that matter, like I suggested in my post.

Posted by Benjamin Kepple at March 26, 2005 08:42 PM

Kennedy? Really? Ben, Ben, Ben... *sigh*

Posted by Geoff Brown at March 28, 2005 09:55 AM

What? Look, the man tried to free Cuber, there's something to be said for that.

Posted by Benjamin Kepple at March 28, 2005 07:21 PM

Ben, we've had "somebody other than a white guy" on our currency - ever hear of an "Indian Head" penny?

Dr. King has his own holiday. If you insist on being PC, then let's put Fredrick Douglas. His contribution to ending slavery is all too often forgotten.

Nothing against Ike - I think he's undervalued as well - but what about Teddy Roosevelt? He led the nation as we emerged onto the word stage...

One last thing - keep JFK (or put him back) on the 50-cent piece. The Democrats probably would want Woodrow Wilson anyway. (Actually, there's something to be said for that - wasn't the federal reserve system set up under his administration?)

Enough whining. You're 100% right about Washington, by the way. I was beginning to think I was the only one who felt that way...

Posted by Tyler at March 29, 2005 12:21 PM