Comments: And Now, a Musical Interlude

Umm, Ben, isn't the base a Keflavik a US Air Force base? There may be some Navy aircraft based there (like P3 Orions), but I'm pretty sure its an Air Force base.

(Yeah, yeah, I know. I'm just a nitpicking Yankee....but what else do I have to do until Ice Out on Winnipesaukee?)

Posted by DCE at March 15, 2005 07:20 AM

Bjork...god what a freak that woman is...the person who told her she could sing has a great deal to answer for.

Posted by Andrew Ian Dodge at March 15, 2005 02:02 PM

I love her music. I don't care what you all say! Not so much lately, but it's her earlier stuff, the dance music. Damn. You try to listen to that stuff and not groove around your apartment, in your own music video.

Posted by red at March 15, 2005 03:50 PM

Hi everybody,

I'll address the points in separate notes, as it's easier that way.

Dale: both services probably have operations at Keflavik -- I just knew the Navy did, so I picked that one. But maybe the USAF uses the Naval Air Station. I don't know.

Andrew: I do agree she seems a bit odd. Really odd. The type who doesn't march to the beat of a different drummer, but has her own drum.

Sheila: I don't doubt that her music is quite good, at least the earlier not-too-whacked-out stuff. And I'd listen to it, if I happened to listen to Bjork. Still, her views on everything else are apparently so whacked out that in this entry, I just wrote her views off, like a ten-cent variance on a $37 million general ledger.

I've found that's the best way for me to deal with the few artists, musicians, actors and other creative types whose views are so out there they don't make any sense to me. That way I can enjoy their work without getting into all those other thorny issues. The only exception to that rule comes with writers, where their ideas about such things can't be separated from their work.

Posted by Benjamin Kepple at March 15, 2005 04:09 PM

The chick has always been wacked, Ben. Always. She's been around forever, and she has ALWAYS been wacked. This is nothing new, sorry to break it to you.

Posted by red at March 15, 2005 04:11 PM

I've never found her to be articulate or interesting to listen to WHEN SHE SPEAKS. I'm just giving my own 2 cents here, and that is that her dance music rocks.

You can all sit and judge her for her stupid political views - that's your prerogative. I don't do that, and that's my prerogative.

Posted by red at March 15, 2005 04:14 PM

I don't have any issues with the music. If I vetted what I listen by its composer's thinking on X, Y or Z, I'd probably be stuck listening to Bach all day!

Since her dance music rocks, would you have any suggestions regarding particularly good tracks? It'd be interesting to listen to it.

Posted by Benjamin Kepple at March 15, 2005 04:37 PM

I mean, obviously the chick is a wack-job to the nth degree. But she always has been. Member her swan dress that she wore to the Oscars? She's a nutter. Completely out of touch with reality. But sue me, I truly think she's an artist. Her albums each have a different sound, and personality - I like her stuff a lot.

My favorite dance-track is "Big Time Sensuality" on her album called Debut. It was THE dance track when I was in college - and there was one summer when you literally could not turn on the radio without hearing it.

I actually made a tape where I put "Big Time Sensuality" on it over and over and over, and that was my exercise tape. As long as that song played, I could keep going.

Posted by red at March 15, 2005 04:46 PM

Sheila -- it sounds like a great song. I'll make sure to check it out. God knows I could use a good song to exercise to!

Posted by Benjamin Kepple at March 15, 2005 05:09 PM

Ben,

Remember, first and foremost, that Bjork's first language is Icelandic and not English. She always seems a little aloof when speaking because of this and I wonder if her comments might have had more nuances if put across in her native tongue. Disagree with the general nature of her opinions, sure, but I can say with a bit of certainty (based on her breadth of knowledge and her sophistication in her music and writing) that she is not just another Alec Baldwin. To categorize her as just one in a long line of stupid celebrities, I believe, is unfair.

Also, I have played you Bjork before. We were seniors in high school, back in 1993. Her big hit was Human Behaviour. It had that trippy video with all the bears and huge insects...Anyone? Bueller? Something D-O-O Economics???? Her best record is Post. Get it, I think it's sophistication will surprise you.

Posted by simon from jersey at March 16, 2005 09:28 AM

Ah yes. Human Behavior. Another great song.

Posted by red at March 16, 2005 11:00 AM