Comments: Like Watching a Train Wreck

Yeowtch! Ben - I didn't know you had a vicious streak that wide. I like it. Good rant. ;]

Posted by Ironbear at October 3, 2004 06:48 AM

Hi Ironbear,

Well, the Strategic Viciousness Reserve came in handy for writing this, that's for sure :-D. But Coleman deserved it.

Posted by Benjamin Kepple at October 3, 2004 10:06 AM

Nick Coleman was a bore and a boor a decade ago when I lived in St. Paul and he wrote there. I've never read anybody who tried harded to be Mike Royko, and yet never quite managed to write anything memorable.

I've never had any delusion that what I do is "journalism." I've never had any delusion that what Coleman does is journalism, either.

Posted by Mark Hasty at October 3, 2004 09:15 PM

Mark,

Very well put! BTW, I clicked on over and saw your post vis-a-vis dusty old books. I loved Queenan's Red Lobster, White Trash and the Blue Lagoon -- but God! Why had I never heard of de Vries before? ANYONE who writes a book entitled "Slouching Towards Kalamazoo" (ROTFL) is clearly worth reading.

Posted by Benjamin Kepple at October 3, 2004 09:25 PM

Trust me, you'll not be disappointed.

Posted by Mark Hasty at October 3, 2004 11:26 PM

Ben ... extremely well said. Competion makes everyone better. If a particular blogger's work doesn't stand up to scrutiny it will not attract continuing attention. But everyone benefits as the mononoply of the old media is diffused and more viewpoints and information becomes available. I guess its tough on some in the old media now that the "dogs have stop eating the dog food" but I believe others will seize the moment and make themselves and the old media more accurate, fair and relevant. That will be good for everyone.

Posted by Swammi in Solon at October 4, 2004 10:15 AM