Comments: Unfortunate Moments in Popular Culture

I'm obviously not elder enough: I still don't understand Wage and Price Controls, and I had a bit more than a year of economics study [not counting self study].

I suppose that we can console ourselves with the thought that at least they're not producing a remake of The Munsters. Oh... wait. Nebber mind. ;]

Posted by Ironbear at September 8, 2004 11:12 PM

I just don't understand why they thought it'd be such a great idea. Didn't they realize the Soviet statistics were crap? Didn't people remember those GM-produced cartoon pamphlets of "The Road to Serfdom?"

Ah well. As for the Munsters remake: Dear God in Heaven.

Posted by Benjamin Kepple at September 9, 2004 09:48 AM

A decent list of obscurities. I would have liked to see commentary about Right Said Fred's spanish version of "I'm To Sexy" or how Sam never returned home on "Quantum Leap" or how "Beat Street" and "Breakin'" brought to the light that ghetto boys can dance while wearing bad 80's clothes and carrying around disturbingly massive boom-boxes.

Posted by RAD at September 9, 2004 09:52 AM

My God -- I had no idea Right Said Fred was inflicted on the Spanish-speaking peoples of this world.

Posted by Benjamin Kepple at September 9, 2004 12:17 PM

I always considered the cheating side of town to be a metaphorical place. Do you take all song lyrics literally? If not, why these particular ones and not others?

You must hate Paul Simon. ;)

Posted by dan at September 9, 2004 01:32 PM

Hi Dan,

To answer your two-part question: No, and because I really didn't like these songs, that's why. :-D

Of course, even if one looks at the songs objectively, one must conclude that "Lying Eyes" is at best mediocre and "Ironic" is still quite stupid.

In the latter case, it is not just run-of-the-mill stupidity we're talking about either. It is stupidity from a strange world. Maybe it's the Top 40 world, and maybe it was Alanis' true first time around. However, I think such stupidity has been surrounded by the sound of similar lyrics in the marketplace. Not that there's anything wrong with that, of course -- it does sell, and I like Top 40 music sometimes. That said, though, I would generally save my praise for the angels in the architecture, spinning in infinity.

Posted by Benjamin Kepple at September 9, 2004 04:14 PM

That's what I had guessed (that you didn't like the song to begin with).

Amen and Hallelujah!

Posted by dan at September 9, 2004 05:39 PM

I dunno, dan. I agree with Ben. But I always hated the Eagles, so there ya go. ;) They're kind of a bluegrass rock band for Top 40's listeners, without the raw grittiness of The Outlaws or other bluegrass bands.

Indeed, Ben. "Dear god in heaven" pretty well sums up my feelings on the Munsters movie. And there I was thinking that Starsky & Hutch was as bad as it could get...

Posted by Ironbear at September 13, 2004 05:29 AM