Comments: The Horrible Relevancy of Pop Culture

But has popular culture ever not been rubbish?

Posted by Andrew Ian Dodge at August 24, 2004 01:21 PM

I don't know. Sometimes I need a break from the real world - and I love to read People magazine in those times. I'm interested in foreign policy AND I like to read about Paris Hilton's ridiculousness. I like to read People magazine and shout about what idiots Britney and Paris are. I find that enjoyable. I also like reading The Wall Street Journal, and watching movies from the 30s and 40s.

I don't know. I just can't see it in as gloomy a light as so many others do.

There's always gonna be stuff "for the masses", there's always gonna be stuff "for the elites" - and then there's a lot of us who like BOTH. I would NEVER want just a diet of pop culture, but damn - it's good to have for a treat.

Posted by red at August 24, 2004 02:08 PM

Yeah, and I think popular culture has always been rubbish.

Posted by red at August 24, 2004 02:22 PM

Andrew -- I would care to venture that pop culture was all right in the Thirties, Forties and Fifties, although not having lived through that time, I haven't experienced the part of that culture that was properly left on history's cutting room floor.

Sheila -- excellent points! My concern here was simply that there are plenty of people who ONLY exist on a diet of popular culture. I know I should not be bothered by this ... but it does bother me just the same.

Posted by Benjamin Kepple at August 24, 2004 09:10 PM

I think I ought have a nice, relaxing gin and tonic right now.

Posted by Benjamin Kepple at August 24, 2004 09:12 PM

Gee, one more of these and I won't be concerned with ANYTHING.

Posted by Benjamin Kepple at August 24, 2004 09:14 PM

HAHAHAHA (I'm looking at the time stamps of your last two comments, Ben.) heh heh It gives the impression that you sucked down 3 gin and tonics in a minute and a half. No judgment if that is the case. :)

Posted by red at August 25, 2004 10:30 AM

The reason popular culture is rubbish is that its lowest common-denominator type stuff. Its meant to be as appealing (or at least acceptable) to as many people as possible.

Posted by Andrew Ian Dodge at August 28, 2004 05:21 PM