Comments: We Have (Yet Again) Quit Smoking

Be careful, Ben, or you could end up like a scene from The Princess Bride:

Inigo Montoya: "As you can see, he's dead."

Miracle Max: "Oh, so look who's the expert! Well it turns out you're wrong. He's only mostly dead. And that means he's a little bit alive...."

Posted by DCE at June 24, 2004 07:35 AM

I'm trying to avoid that, I can assure you. I had a salad for lunch yesterday too.

Posted by Benjamin Kepple at June 24, 2004 08:07 AM

Good for you, Ben. I see this as a win-win situation for you and for Rant readers alike. Consider: if you quit smoking, you'll live longer, which is good for you, and for your friends and readers. Also, you can challenge any energy from withdrawal-related anxiety and irritableness into Ranting EVEN MORE. And so your readers win because we get to see MORE RANTING. And you win because your readers are happy. There's just no downside here.

Not for nothing, I've found that strictly following the Atkins diet (sans the cheating, of course) not only helps the weight issue, but my lipid profile and cholesterol improved, too -- my test results for those numbers at my most recent physical were "normal." They were, prior to Atkins, all on the high side. Just a thought. I have the same health concerns you do (family history of heart disease) plus I have a family history of diabetes on BOTH sides of my family, one grandparent each. Better still, it tends to skip generations quite well. So I, like you, am screwed if I don't get into better shape, which I am well on my way to doing.

Good luck.

Posted by Geoff Brown at June 24, 2004 08:58 AM

That "challenge" should be "channel." Good christ -- that's what I get for trying to write first thing in the morning. God thing it's here and not, say, for some opinion I'm drafting.

Posted by Geoff Brown at June 24, 2004 09:04 AM

Way to go Ben!!! As you know, I've made it a year now without a drag and I can tell, EASILY, how much it has helped.

I know I told you before, but I still think you might consider cold turkey. I think it is the only way to go. IMHO, screw these Nicorette people looking to make a buck off your torture and pain, while still keeping you hooked.

You said yourself it will suck anyway, why not have it suck "full monty" and be done with it? If you tore that patch off now, by Monday evening the grey skies will be breaking. You could do a "scream of consciousness" blog, he he he.....

GOOD FOR YOU THOUGH, I don't mean to "downgrade your struggle" as Sickboy did in Trainspotting. I just know from my experience that cold turkey was the only thing that worked for me.

Call if you need encouragement, especially when the sweats come.......

Posted by simon from jersey at June 24, 2004 09:28 AM

I'm proud ouf you Ben. I know it will be a real challenge to finally beat the cigarette habit but I also know from experience that you can accomplish anything when you are really determined to do so. You are far too young to be encountering these health issues but on the positive side you are still young enough to turn things around. This time you will be successful in beating the cigarettes. The short term discomfort of kicking the habit will pay huge dividends over the rest of your life.

Posted by swammi in solon at June 24, 2004 01:39 PM

You know what Mark Twain says about quitting smoking, don't you?

Posted by miss tomlin if you're nasty at July 1, 2004 12:19 PM