Comments: Psalms for All Occasions!

Oh, Lord, won't you buy me a Mercedes Benz?
My friends all drive Porsches,
I must make amends...

Posted by triticale at June 3, 2004 11:42 PM

I thought you were kidding about the new translation until I went to the link. Sad days. Since Cranmer's day the Anglican Church may not have been known for doctrinal soundness but could be relied on for beauty of expression. Now they've abandoned this, too. In favor of what? Relevance? There are but three things that last...

Posted by Dave Schuler at June 4, 2004 09:07 AM

Dave,

EVERYONE has thought I was kidding.

In all fairness, this wouldn't replace the version in the Book of Common Prayer. This is just something in a pocket guide. Still, for the CofE to publish this amazes me.

Posted by Benjamin Kepple at June 4, 2004 09:44 AM

Well, actually, now that I think about it, Dean DID trust me on this one. However, everyone else to whom I mentioned this thought it was a joke.

Posted by Benjamin Kepple at June 4, 2004 09:53 AM

Us Catholics in England always used to complain that the Anglicans had the best music and the best language for their services. This is no longer, as you can see, true.
What really bugs me is that the Book of Common Prayer, The King James Bible and Shakespeare are the very foundation of the language. You can go through the KJB, as opposed to any of the other translations, and see the origin of innumerable phrases that still resonate through the language.
Maybe curmudgeonhood is creeping up on me but modernity is not all it's cracked up to be.

Posted by Tim Worstall at June 5, 2004 05:17 AM

Tim,

I don't think modernity was EVER what it's been cracked up to be :-D. Your point is well-made and it is a pity the CofE doesn't apparently value its heritage as much as one would hope.

Posted by Benjamin Kepple at June 5, 2004 08:15 AM