Comments: It's Relentless Self-Criticism Day Here at The Rant!

Ben, if you were to "tone down [y]our hubris a bit, rein in [y]our self-conceit, [and/or] cut out [y]our overbearing pedantic tendencies," then it wouldn't be a "rant," then, would it? It would be "Ben Kepple's Daily Statement." And that, frankly, would be a lot less fun. I want Kepple Extravaganas, dammit! Seriously, I wouldn't change a thing. Except maybe a more prominent "GeoffBrown.net" link. Heh heh heh.

Posted by Geoff Brown at April 8, 2004 09:33 AM

Yeah, never tone down the hubris. Love the hubris.

I wish you would lose the royal "we", though. But that's just my wee opinion.

Posted by red at April 8, 2004 01:36 PM

We are not amused by the first-person plural references. We are not the British monarchy, are we?

Ben Kepple should switch to the third-person for a bit. Ben's blog might benefit from it.

Posted by davie d at April 8, 2004 02:09 PM

I think I'm going to start writing my own blog in an omniscent-narrative tone. I think that might be an amusing exercise.

Posted by red at April 8, 2004 05:34 PM

Actually, Ben, I don't think you should change anything about what you do here, IMO. I've been reading The Rant ever since I discovered it two years ago [that long?] because I enjoy what you do here, including the Royal We, the mock articles, the humour, the movie reviews, and the periodic social commentary.

You have a style that works, and it's amusing, thought provoking, and entertaining. Rock on, guy. ;]

Posted by Ironbear at April 8, 2004 07:45 PM

Thanks, everyone! This is exactly the type of stuff Ben Kepple needs to improve Ben Kepple's blog! :-D

However, I think only Bob Dole can truly pull off the third-person references. Sen Dole is venerable and has gravitas, and I have neither of those things. So I'll scotch that, although I do appreciate the suggestion! :-D

Going further, I must say I have given serious, serious thought to scrapping the royal/editorial we usage. I think it may be limiting in a way. I should probably test this out, because I once had the blog entirely in the singular, and then changed it.

One thing I don't intend to do, of course, is change any of the content. That's the really fun part and I intend to keep doing what I do now. I very much enjoy writing all this stuff!

Still, I really do think I need to work on the tone sometimes. My greatest concern is that I'm just not getting that right, and if I am going on and on about Important-To-Me-Topic X, I don't want people to think I am a jerk, a know-it-all, or a snob. I'm not any of those things in real life, at least I don't think so (not a word, Geoff)!

But I do fear I do that sometimes, which bothers me; for if I come across that way to people, then I am shooting myself in the foot. In short, I don't think folks come here for a sermon -- yet I know I have this aggravating tendency to deliver a homily. Heh. Maybe I went into the wrong profession.

Again, though -- in all sincerity -- thank you all for your input, both the positive comments and constructive criticism (which includes anyone else who may comment in future). I will certainly do a lot of thinking about it over the next couple of days.

Posted by Benjamin Kepple at April 8, 2004 10:44 PM

Ben ...

Just my little two cents here: I come here to your blog to hear what you think. It is your voice, your opinions, your WAY - everyone has a different way, and this blog shows your way. I love that. I come to your blog to read about what is "important to Ben".

I think writing on topics "Important-To-Me" is great - especially if you can write! And you can.

Posted by red at April 9, 2004 11:40 AM

Ben, if you start changing your tone to pander to the whiny masses, you become no better than MSNBC, or, God forbid, the Michigan Daily. If I want bland, I'll read Yahoo! news. When I want hardcore ranting, I want to know that I can turn to Ben Kepple's Daily Rant.

Of course, I wouldn't miss the "we" thing. On the other hand, it does give the site that certain "Kepple Extravaganza" style I've come to know so well.

Posted by Geoff Brown at April 12, 2004 09:20 AM

Geoff,

The Michigan Daily?! OK, OK, I won't change a thing. Gee, you really know how to sock it to a guy.

Posted by Benjamin Kepple at April 12, 2004 10:16 PM

I certainly do. Of course, in my line of work, that's typically a good thing.

Posted by Geoff Brown at April 15, 2004 09:41 AM