Comments: A Fool and Your Money ...

Oh, this is... classic. Bravo!

Posted by John at October 11, 2003 02:13 AM

Horatio Alger's characters didn't make "huge successes of themselves". They weren't rags to riches stories, they were rags to working middle class stories. Just like the "(p)eople in other industrialised democracies (who) are content to make a good enough living to pay their bills and raise their families."

Posted by marybeth at October 11, 2003 02:20 AM

Really! We'll have to page Marshall McLuhan. It would seem Mr Moore's whole fallacy is wrong.

Posted by Benjamin Kepple at October 11, 2003 09:41 AM

"You mean my whole fallacy’s wrong?" - quotation from McLuhan that just seemed appropriate. (Btw, McLuhan died in 1980.)

Did you read the article where Moore blamed his Oscar speech on the fact that he went to church that morning? And the booing you heard was people booing those who were disagreeing with him. http://www.deepcovebc.com/MichaelMoore.html

The article is from last March but I hadn't read it until I saw him on the Late Show a few days ago and got irritated at him all over again. Or rather, my general low level constant irritation with him was cranked up a few more notches.

Posted by marybeth at October 11, 2003 03:35 PM

A wonderful Fisking, of a most deserving target.

If you can, though, it would make it easier to read if either his text or yours was indented.

Thanks, good job.

Posted by Richard R at October 12, 2003 02:51 PM

(*use the {blockquote}{/blockquote} tags for indentations*)

I had a chance a year and a half ago to see Mr. Moore speak. He came to my campus, University of North Texas. My friend was extremely excited about the speech. Fortunately, I passed.

I truly think Mr. Moore has become irrelevant. This crybaby rant could have been written by my little brother, railing against "the man" and "the system."

Posted by Kevin White at October 12, 2003 10:15 PM

"(*use the {blockquote}{/blockquote} tags for indentations*)"

No, use <blockquote> for block quotes; they just happen to be indented by browsers.

To indent something that browsers DON'T indent by default, use CSS.

-Anonymous web-geek Coward

Posted by Anonymous Coward at October 13, 2003 12:30 AM

Err, that's what I meant, but I assumed MT would "sanitize" the html if I used the . So just replace the bracket-type things with arrows and you're set.

I use CSS anyway, though, to give my blockquotes a border and different font.

Posted by Kevin White at October 13, 2003 06:01 PM

I think we can solve the problem in future by having either an identifier tag in front of the outsourced quote or by having such quotations in bold.

Posted by Benjamin Kepple at October 13, 2003 06:41 PM

Oh, and also -- thanks, everyone, for your kind words re: the posts.

Posted by Benjamin Kepple at October 13, 2003 06:41 PM